Pages

Sunday, March 27, 2011

You're out; She's not

You might have a guess of what I want to adress in this post by the title. Today's topic is how do you deal with a relationship where you are out and your partner is not out. I've never personally experienced this. But I've heard about it happening. And it also seemed like something that many people might deal with at some point in their lives. I might not be in a relationship at the moment, and I have never been in a relationship. So why should I adress an issue I have never had to personally deal with? Because I know people who have to deal with this exact situation. So here we go... If you are the person who is out--don't push the person in the relationship who isn't out to come out when they aren't ready to be out yet. Think of what it would be like if you were in their shoes when you weren't out yet. It isn't easy to come out for anyone. And to be in a relationship when most people don't even know that you are gay or lesbian has to be hard. So think of how you would want to handle the situation if you were in their shoes. If you are the person who isn't out--don't come out to the world just because the person you are with is telling you to come out. Only come out when YOU are personally ready to come out.

No comments:

Post a Comment